The Ministerio de Ciencia, Innovación y Universidades has opened the call for predoctoral contracts to the formation of Doctors 2018.
The Institute of Cosmos Sciences is a Maria de Maeztu Unit since 2014 and therefore, applicants can choose to come to our institute to develope the following projects:
- Very Large Data Processing and Analysis: The GAIA Archive (Contact: Jordi Portell)
The ICCUB offers a full-time contract to work on this subject for 3 years as part of the applicant's PhD thesis. Candidates must have an engineering degree or a physics degree, and have completed their master degree, with a strong background on software and computer engineering. Experience, specially on grid computing environments (such as those used for LHCb) or supercomputing, will be valued.
Development tasks will be related to:
- Design and definition of data handling and processing systems.
- Software specification, implementation and testing.
- Software and configuration management in collaborative environments.
- Integration in existing tools such as DIRAC or Rucio.
- Technical interfaces between different systems, such as the data handling at the instrument site, computing centres in Europe and the US, and LIGO data handling.
- Job and task scheduling, execution and monitoring in grid computing systems.
- Integration of science data processing algorithms.
The candidate will also participate in the scientific exploitation of the Virgo data as a member of the consortium as part of the ICCUB team.
- Holography and QCD in extreme conditions (Contact: Roberto Emparan)
The project to be developed will lie in the areas of gravitational waves and fundamental physics, within the lines of research carried out by members of ICCUB. The candidate will also be able to participate, if needed, in the scientific exploitation of the Virgo data as a member of the consortium as part of the ICCUB team. For more details please contact with Roberto Emparan.
The ICCUB is concerned about the under representation of women and minorities in STEM fields, and therefore strongly encourages women and underrepresented minorities to apply.
All applications must be completed online at: https://sede.micinn.gob.es/ayudaspredoctorales/