The Global Health and Research community and their Gender and Equity Committees signing below, ratifies this statement written by The Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal). Today, 25 November 2022, within the context of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women, we, on behalf of our international community of researchers and all the staff, show our support, solidarity and sisterhood to the women and girls of Iran in their rightful and peaceful fight for their rights.
We strongly condemn the violence and humiliations against the women and girls and the extreme violence and repression that the demonstrators have faced recently during rallies. We send our deepest condolences to the family of Mahsa Amini, Nika Shakarami, Hadis Najafi, Sarina Esmailzadeh and to all the families of the more than two hundred assassinated persons during the protests. We echo their voices for Women, Life and Freedom.
Finally, we stand for the right of the Iranian people to organise themselves, protest, vote and live freely in a real democracy, exercising their rights without fear. Thus, we urge the international community to help the Iranian people, while respecting their sovereignty with the most sincere intentions at heart.
We also encourage people, at an individual level, to recognize and give voice to Iranian women through some of the following actions:
- Let's get informed
- Let's get interested in their history and read books and movies like "La Jaula de Oro" or "Persepolis".
- Let's deconstruct the narratives that revolve around the Middle East, its women and its symbols.
- Let’s demand that the media present a broad and realistic coverage of the situation in countries like Iran.
- Let's amplify their protests in social media or/and our community.
- Let's show up and show support.
- Let's press our governments to help the Iranian people, while respecting their sovereignty.
- Let’s donate money or help to organisations that fight for human rights.
- Let's take care of the planet and its resources, because our production and consumption model directly impact the lives of other people.
- Let’s also fight against the discrimination suffered by migrant women in European countries, at their borders, in access to housing, and even in schools for wearing the veil.
To sum up, let us take responsibility and not look the other way, while the women of Iran fight for freedom.
Barcelona. November 25, 2022
(On the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women)
ISGlobal Equity & Gender Commission
Can Ruti Women in Science Working Group (WiS)
Fundació Lluita contra les Infeccions
Comissió Igualtat Facultat de Medicina i Ciències de la Salut (Campus Clínic)
Institute of Mathematics of the University of Granada (IMAG)
Centre d'Estudis Demogràfics
Fundació Parc Científic de Barcelona
International Centre for Numerical Methods in Engineering (CIMNE)
Fundació Institut de Recerca en Energia de Catalunya
Institut de Ciència de Materials de Barcelona (ICMAB-CSIC)
Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC)
Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology - Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Marine and Environmental Biogeoscience Research Group
Instituto de Catálisis y Petroquímica
Institut Català d'Arqueologia Clàssica (ICAC)
IPHES Equality Commission
IPHES Responsible Research and Innovation Committee. RRI
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion committee of the Instituto de Física Teórica UAM-CSIC
Institut de Recerca Sant Joan de Déu
Institut de Ciències del Cosmos de la Universitat de Barcelona (ICCUB)
Institut Hospital del Mar d'Investigacions Mèdiques (IMIM)
Josep Carreras Leukaemia Research Institute (IJC) - Equality committee
Fundació Pasqual Maragall i Fundació BarcelonaBeta Brain Research Center
Comitè de Igualtat, Diversitat i Inclusió del Parc de Recerca Biomèdica de Barcelona (PRBB)
Unitat d'Igualtat de la Universitat Pompeu Fabra
ICM Equality Task Force
ICFO Diversity & Inclusion Committee
Comité de Igualdad del Centro Nacional de Biotecnología
Barcelona Super Computing Center (BSC) Equity Commission